abe

Sunday, June 20, 2010

This post is only about a month too late, but we got a puppy!

We have been casually looking at the free dogs in the newspaper and rolla net (our local craigslist) but just hadn't found any that just jumped out at us saying "come get me!" I've really been wanting a chocolate lab, but in the end we got a beagle/patterdale terrier mix. We saw him online one evening and the next day at work, he was all I could think about. So Mike agreed, and we went and got him. It took us a couple days to decide on a name, but we ended up with Abe. When I first met Mike, before we started dating, my friend and I would call him Abe. With his sideburns we thought he looked like Abe Lincoln. I know it's silly, but it was neat to incorporate his name with something from our past. I really wanted to find a name that was from our honeymoon to Ireland, but we couldn't agree on any of those names.

I'm really happy that we decided on a smaller breed in the end. He's expected to be between 15 and 20 pounds.  It will work out better when it comes to making the trip back to Indiana.

Abe is full of energy, but loves his puppy naps on Mike and I as well. Oh, how I love it when he falls asleep on me! He loves to play rope/tug of war, he can play it for longer than I've ever played it with a dog. We can play for 20 minutes straight, and then promptly followed by an hour long nap. :)

Abe has definitely been an eye opening experience for Mike and I. Mike has never had a puppy nor an indoor dog before, and I haven't had one for 13 years. He's taught us a lot already about changing our lives to fit him in to it. I don't want people out there to think I'm categorizing children with pets (but don't get me wrong, I feel that pets are part of the family), but Abe has definitely shown me a slight "preview" to what it's like to have a child.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anniversary