a kitchen completed

Saturday, September 12, 2015

This past June, we started the BIGGEST diy project we have ever tried to tackle - the kitchen. And it's finally complete!

Before. Goodbye 1938
Can you believe that is the entire kitchen?!?!?! Well, the one thing that is not pictured is the refrigerator, and that was located at the other end of the room where the computer is now. So you'll have to visualize that in the after photos.

When we bought this house in the beginning of 2010, I told my husband that I loved all it's character and the house in general but the kitchen had to go... We were actually ready last summer financially, but we had just had Jack and figured we should focus on keeping him alive for a year and then go after this beast of a project.....so after 5 years of planning, savings and little projects that had to be done before this - we jumped in guns blazing. 


We Mike ripped out the original 1938 cabinets that had about twenty layers of paint on them. That was followed by, going down to the studs, new electric, new drywall, mudding and sanding, wood floor refinishing, trim sanding and painting, wall painting... I tell you, my guy is a rock star. I was able to help him with a few things, but with Jack it was sometimes easier if Mike just did the work and I played with Jack.

So fast forward 12 weeks and our kitchen is finally complete. The last stretch was a killer - we had to wait on a garbage disposal flange for our think apron sink to hook up the drains and in turn the dish washer!!!

Tangent - We have lived with out a dishwasher our entire 7 years of marriage...until now. I'm so happy!! I will no longer waste time that I could be enjoying my family on dirty dishes. It's sad to say but the things I was most excited for were the dishwasher and an ice machine in the refrigerator.

HELLO 2015 - so glad to see you!!

view from our living room.



                                  

refrigerator and pantry
                                  
view from the sink
see how far away our refrigerator was!!!

we don't like the look of microwaves, so we hid ours in the pantry!!

view from the dining room

2 comments:

Sarah Hanson said...

What a transformation. So happy for you guys!!

Kristi said...

Thanks Sarah! It's the year of the kitchen and I can't wait to see yours completed soon.

Post a Comment

Anniversary